Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen’s Ferguson denies Rangers victory | Scottish Premiership

Rangers dropped points in the cinch Premiership for the first time under Giovanni van Bronckhorst after Aberdeen fought back to earn a 1-1 draw at Pittodrie.

A 20th-minute tap-in from Ianis Hagi had put the current champions on course for an eighth straight league win under Van Bronckhorst but Lewis Ferguson scored from the penalty spot with 17 minutes left when Alfredo Morelos handled inside the area.

There was still time for Ryan Kent to receive his marching orders after being given a second yellow card by the referee, Kevin Clancy, but Rangers stood firm to stay four points clear of Celtic.

A Josh Ginnelly double saw Hearts earn a 2-0 win over St Johnstone to consolidate third place.

Ginnelly, who was sent off against Rangers in his last appearance before the winter break, broke the deadlock in the 46th minute with a fine finish and wrapped up the points with a second in the 75th minute at Tynecastle.

Ross County extended the distance between themselves and basement club St Johnstone to seven points with an impressive 3-1 win over Motherwell.

Regan Charles-Cook created the opener at the end of the first half when his cross was sliced into his own net by Sondre Solholm Johansen but Jordan Roberts brought Motherwell back to parity in the 55th minute. When Jordan Tillson was sent off for the home side soon after it seemed likely the visitors would press home their advantage but Charles-Cook scored on 72 minutes and confirmed the result from the penalty spot late on.

Bruce Anderson picked up where he left off with a brace to help Livingston earn a 2-0 triumph over Dundee. Anderson netted on Boxing Day and was on target a minute into the second half having been denied by the crossbar moments earlier. He doubled his tally and Livingston’s 10 minutes later.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Tony Watt was summoned from the bench for his Dundee United debut but the former Motherwell striker could not prevent a 2-1 loss at home to St Mirren, who triumphed for the first time in 12 attempts. Jay Henderson and Eamonn Brophy struck for the visitors before the hour and although the hosts pulled one back through Alan Power’s own goal, they suffered a sixth straight loss.

Source link