IPL 2023 – Impact Player in IPL ? The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to introduce a very innovating concept of ‘impact player’. Effective from this season, the impact player will allow the participating teams to replace one member of its playing XI during a T20 fixture. The concept will first be implemented in the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy starting October 11. BCCI is also mulling to implement the concept in the next edition of the Indian Premier League: Follow IPL 2023 LIVE updates & SMAT20 LIVE Updates with InsideSport.IN
IPL 2023: BCCI mulling to introduce ‘IMPACT PLAYER’ concept in IPL Season 16, will try new innovation in Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy in October: Check DETAILS
Impact Player Concept Explained: According to the rule, teams can replace one member of their playing XI during a match, if they think it will be useful.
In order for teams and players to get used to the new rule, the board will try it first in state cricket.
IMPACT Player Concept in IPL? Testing in State Cricket & Syed Mushtaq Ali
- The participating teams could replace one member of its playing XI during a T20 match.
- The BCCI has said it has drawn inspiration from the rules of substitution from other games, like football, rugby, basketball among others.
- In order for teams and players to get used to the new rule, the board will try it first in state cricket.
- Impact Player RULE will allow one substitute per team to take a more active part in a match.
- This would add a new tactical and strategic dimension to the game.
- The ‘Impact Player’ can be introduced in the match any time before the completion of 14th over of either innings in a match. After the introduction, the new player can bat and may bowl a full allotment of four overs.
- The onfield or the fourth umpire has to be informed about the introduction of the Impact Player.
- The player replaced by the Impact Player cannot take part for the remainder of the match. That player will also not be permitted to return as a substitute fielder.
According to the note sent to state associations, “The concept is to allow one substitute player per team to take a more active part in a match.
This would add a new tactical/strategic dimension to the game. A number of team sports allow teams to make tactical substitutes i.e. football, rugby, basketball, baseball. The substitute is allowed to perform or participate like any other regular player,” the note said.
Taking a leaf out of the Big Bash League, BCCI took the decision to make the format interesting ‘not only for the viewers, but also for the participating teams from strategic viewpoint’.
The Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy beginning on October 11 will be the 1st event, where teams will implement the new rule.
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow IPL 2023 LIVE updates & BBL 2022-23 LIVE updates with InsideSport.IN