Football League roundup: Forest cut down as Middlesbrough hit top six | Championship

Middlesbrough moved into the Championship play-off places with a 2-0 win against Nottingham Forest at the Riverside Stadium. A Ryan Yates own goal and a second-half strike from Andraz Sporar gave Chris Wilder’s team a fourth victory in their five-match unbeaten run. It halted Forest’s own fine form as it was a first defeat in 10 league games for the Reds.

In the only other game in the division, Huddersfield won 3-2 at home against 10-man Blackpool. Two late goals from Sorba Thomas turned the game in Town’s favour after Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel had been sent off just after the hour.

Jerry Yates opened the scoring with less than a minute on the clock and it was 1-1 after just three minutes when Danny Ward headed an equaliser. Gary Madine restored Blackpool’s lead before Thomas’ late double.

Hull’s match against Blackburn became yet another Boxing Day fixture in the Championship to be postponed because of Covid-19. The Tigers announced just over two hours before kick-off that the match – due to be televised by Sky – would not go ahead because of positive cases in their squad. Another Championship match on 30 December was also called off, with an outbreak in Preston’s squad forcing the postponement of their trip to West Brom.

See also  Jimmy Greaves: peerless player whose legacy is etched in football history | Jimmy Greaves

In League One, Sean McConville’s second-half goal brought an end to Rotherham’s 21-game unbeaten run in all competitions as Accrington claimed a 1-0 win against the leaders. Stanley’s captain struck in the 75th minute with an acrobatic scissor-kick from around six yards out after the Millers had failed to clear their lines.

MK Dons came from behind to secure a dramatic 3-2 win at Lincoln. An own goal from Warren O’Hora and a Chris Maguire penalty inside the opening eight minutes handed the Imps a 2-0 lead at half-time. However, a brace from Scott Twine and a Matt O’Riley strike in the second half ensured the visitors left with all three points.

A goal in each half for Plymouth ensured they maintained their promotion push with a 2-0 win at Cheltenham. Panutche Camara opened the scoring three minutes before half-time and Jordon Garrick made sure of the points with 15 minutes remaining.

Shrewsbury scored three second half-goals in a 3-0 win at Fleetwood which helped them to climb above the home side in the table. Ryan Bowman struck in the first five minutes into the second half before Josh Vela doubled the lead and Daniel Udoh wrapped up victory with a stunning third.

In League Two, Scunthorpe climbed off the bottom of the table with a 3-1 victory at Oldham, who replaced them at the foot of the standings. The Latics looked on course for a rare win when Benny Couto gave them the early lead. However, second-half goals from the substitute Ryan Loft either side of Myles Hippolyte’s effort turned the game in the Iron’s favour. Scunthorpe moved out of the relegation zone with their first win in six games, extending their unbeaten run to five matches.

See also  Sparky Anthony Gordon shows what all the fuss is about, scoring Everton's goal in draw at Brentford

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

Mansfield maintained their impressive recent form after coming from behind to beat Hartlepool 3-2. Gavan Holohan had an injury-time equaliser ruled out for offside, after Pools had led 2-0 thanks to goals from Luke Molyneux and Nicky Featherstone.

John-Joe O’Toole, Jordan Bowery and George Maris all struck within the space of 11 second-half minutes to clinch victory for the Stags.

Nicky Maynard and Kieron Morris scored in Tranmere’s 2-0 win against Barrow at Prenton Park.

Source link