Erik ten Hag ‘could get £100m to spend if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Man Utd in January’


Erik ten Hag ‘could be handed a £100m war chest if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Manchester United in January’… as the Dutch manager looks to add to the six signings he made in his £230m summer spending spree

  • Cristiano Ronaldo, 37, scored his first goal of the season against Sheriff Tiraspol
  • The Portuguese star told the club he wanted to leave in the summer window
  • His £450,000-a-week contract could free up £30million in recruitment funds 

Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag is reportedly set to be handed £100million to spend in the January transfer window – but only if star man Cristiano Ronaldo leaves the club. 

The Dutchman is thought to have around £70m available to further reinforce his side this winter but should the wantaway Portuguese legend force through the move he seems so keen to get, Ten Hag could be handed another £30m, according to The Sun.

Ten Hag has already made six signings for a total of around £230m, but according to reports is still looking to bring in at least three more players to rival Manchester City and Liverpool for the Premier League title. 

See also  Premier League: Sixteen per cent of players are unvaccinated, it is revealed

United appear to have not given up on a move for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong. The Old Trafford side had been linked with a host of strikers in the summer window but speculation seems to have cooled as a result of Marcus Rashford’s promising early season form. 

Erik ten Hag could be handed a total of ‘£100million’ if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves the club

The five-time Champions League winner is on £450,000-a-week and his departure would reportedly free up around £30m. It has been suggested that these funds will be handed to the Dutch manager to bolster his transfer warchest.

Ronaldo’s future at Old Trafford is far from certain after he told the club he wanted to leave in the summer.

However, with no clubs offering themselves as a potential destination for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner, the forward finds himself stuck at the club with his current deal up in 2023. 

Cristiano Ronaldo has struggled for game time at Manchester United this season

Cristiano Ronaldo has struggled for game time at Manchester United this season

And to make matters worse for the 37-year-old, he has since lost his starting berth in the side to Marcus Rashford.

The Portuguese forward scored his first goal of the season in the Europa League victory over Sheriff Tiraspol on Thursday, but made further headlines after appearing to snub a medic trying to take a selfie with him at half-time, which has not gone down well on social media. 

See also  Roman Abramovich crisis should be a 'wake-up call' for football, warns sports minister

A member of the medical staff at the Zimbru Stadium in Chisinau reached out to ask to take a photo with Ronaldo, but was ignored by the United forward, who brushed off her outstretched arm. 

Ronaldo was in no mood for a picture with a member of medical staff at half-time

Ronaldo was in no mood for a picture with a member of medical staff at half-time

The woman, who was ignored by the forward, was left stunned as her request was ignored

The woman, who was ignored by the forward, was left stunned as her request was ignored

The goal was the 699th of his illustrious career but just his first in eight appearances this season.

After the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Chelsea distanced themselves from a move for Ronaldo, he found himself subject of an outrageous bid from a Saudi Arabian side.  

Al-Hilal offered the United superstar a contract worth an eye-watering £210m for just two seasons, according to Spanish outlet Marca.  

Ten Hag has already spent £230m as United manager, making six signings in the summer

Ten Hag has already spent £230m as United manager, making six signings in the summer

Advertisement



Source link